May 5, 2013

Review: Scent of Magic by Maria V. Snyder

Scent of Magic by Maria V. Snyder
eBook Published January 4, 2013 by Harlequin Mira

*Warning: This is book 2 in the Healer series and as such this review contains spoilers for book 1, Touch of Power.*

Avry of Kazan is once again going into hiding, both her enemies and her friends believe her to be dead. In her quest to keep the Fifteen Kingdoms free she will take every advantage she can get, even if it means embarking on a dangerous journey alone and being separated from the man she loves. 

I was disappointed that Avry and Kerrick had to separate so quickly to accomplish their goals, after the end of Touch of Power I had anticipated a bit more time to see them together as a couple. My disappointment was quickly dispelled by Maria V. Snyder’s addition of alternating viewpoints between the two main characters. It kept the plot line following Kerrick fresh and present in my mind instead of the vague wondering we might have been left with if we had continued to only follow Avry.


Avry has really grown from where we first meet her in Touch of Power. She is more confident and her surety caused me to believe for the first time that this journey could work out positively for her. No longer does she heal without care for herself, but truly weighs the consequences. This was a relief to me as her inability to value her own life was very frustrating.


As with the first novel, the characters that surround Avry are colorful and unique. Snyder has a talent for making her characters true individuals and I find myself caring for them more as a result. The witty interactions and the evolving relationships are a pleasure to read and be a part of. The minor characters almost steal the show from the main characters at times, which is an impressive feat.


There were several surprises that really made the book a winner for me, but I don’t want to spoil it for anyone else. I’m hoping that the cliffhanger Snyder left us with will be able to resolved similarly because eek otherwise! This second book was an extremely enjoyable read and I am waiting with bated breath for Taste of Darkness to be released.

Rating: 4.5 out of 5

This review also available on Goodreads.

0 comments:

Post a Comment